Thursday, September 3, 2015

TPACK Informs Lesson Planning

TPACK - Image Credit
This semester I am intentionally planning lessons through the TPACK lens. As I teach each concept, I model a variety of pedagogical methods using technology to engage students in interactive learning. We began by introducing ourselves through creating a visual presentation in Haiku Deck. Posting the link at our Learning Management System site allowed everyone to view and comment upon each other's personal information as well as technology usage.

Padlet provided a back channel as we discussed literacy concepts and shared links to articles, videos, images and more. By organizing the layout in Freeform format students could post notes randomly as they experimented with the posting process. Later we used the Grid layout to stream student questions, comments, and resources so I could attend to each in order and see new posts at a glance.

Today we used Socrative to respond to and discuss an article read for class. I created five questions using a variety of formats to model how responses could be shown on the screen in real time as each student responded to each question. Then I demonstrated how whole class data could be downloaded instantly into a spreadsheet noting each response by individual student. We discussed how analyzing the responses would inform instruction and allow the teacher to respond directly to student questions next class period.

We are discussing lesson planning through the TPACK lens, and I am enjoying planning my lessons in the same manner! Seeing apps and websites used in teaching and learning should provide examples as preservice teachers plan their own lessons to teach in 21st century classrooms where each student has a device. I'm excited for this semester!

1 comment:

  1. I'm interested in seeing lesson planning using TPACK being modeled. One of my appraisal goals this year is intentional planning and I can see this being very helpful to me and fitting into my goal very nicely.

    ReplyDelete